9/30/2023
This
is going to be a long Email. It comprises almost my whole time in the
MTC because I didn’t get an Email out last week. With that said, please
enjoy.
It
has been over a week and I am finally writing an Email. I just want to
briefly express my gratitude for my savior Jesus Christ. I have seen his
hand in my life so much since I got to the MTC and even before while I
was at home MTC. I have had a question that has been with me for
probably years now. Only once I got to the MTC did I recognize the
question and then pray about it. After that I was in my personal study
and I found an answer. I have never had an experience like this before
and this shows me that Jesus is always there. We just have to reach out
for him.
Anyway
in my MTC residence there are 6 Elders. Me and my Companion Elder
Child, Elder Shaw and Elder Bull who are in my district and assigned to
the Nashville Tennessee Mission, and finally Elder George and Elder
Rasmussen who are assigned to Peru but haven’t yet gotten their Visas so
they are going to temporarily be assigned to Salt Lake City. It is a
really fun room that can get both crazy and spiritual.
Kendamas
are a huge thing here in the MTC and I can just imagine my brother
Orson having a really fun time using his Kendamas here. I personally
don’t see myself having that much fun with them. Instead I find my joy
in listening to church music while reading my scriptures. My goal is to
highlight every reference of God and Jesus in the Book Of Mormon. I am
now in 2 Nephi and this goal has helped me stay focused while reading
and actually understand the words.
While
in the MTC I get a dedicated gym time. I see this as a blessing for me
because without it I would be really lazy. My companion Elder Child and
Elder Bull are really into the gym. Because of this I will let them
schedule the gym time and where I'll just go with and either do exactly
what they are doing or find my own thing. There is an indoor track and
plenty of workout machines so I have no problem finding my own thing.
Along with fitness, food is also important. The food here is mid. It is
sometimes good and sometimes bad. One day for lunch it was a Hot Chicken
Sandwich. It was by far my favorite meal. I shall also make my family
happy by saying I am starting to tolerate fries more. I still don’t like
them that much but I have eaten them here. One thing I did try is
mixing chocolate milk and rootbeer. The result was a budget rootbeer
float. It was pretty good.
Classes
here are way better than online. I love my district and how everyone
has gotten along. While in class I can feel the fellowship we all have
for each other and this really invites the spirit. Granted the times when
our District President will look at his companion and start laughing
uncontrollably. Despite that, the class is really awesome. Our teachers
are Sister Troutman and Brother Gates. Both of them help me and my
district feel the spirit and the love God has for us. I really enjoy the
classes.
By
the time this Email goes out it will be my second P-Day at the MTC.
With that said, last P-Day my district went to the Provo Temple and did
an Endowment session. I just have to say the Provo Temple definitely is
not the Jordan River Temple. I got so turned around but we eventually
made it. My companion was a little rushed and forgot some things so we
barely made it into the session. I honestly see it as a miracle that we
made it into the session with the rest of the district.
Sunday
at the MTC was kind of what I expected but also completely different.
First things first, Priesthood meeting was before Sacrament which was
totally bizarre to me. It was really cool though. Sacrament meeting was
very quiet which I don’t think I’ve ever been in a sacrament meeting
that quiet before. Something that the MTC does on Sunday is Go and Do.
It is a time of about 1.5-2 hours that you can have personal and or
companion study, after which you gather as a district and can share your
thoughts or any spiritual experiences you may have had. I think this is
where the answer to my question actually revealed itself so now Go and
Do has a special place in my heart. I also got to go to the MTC choir
practice which was really cool. There was maybe over 200 missionaries
that went. Sunday night there was a devotional with the MTC president
and his wife. They talked about the Book of Mormon and afterwards my
district had a great discussion about it and our thoughts on both the
devotional and Book of Mormon.
On
Monday it felt as if it were a P-Day. We did what is called an MTC
Cleanse. Everyone helped clean the campus and all buildings both
residence and teaching. It was so cool to see everyone working together
to keep such a sacred place clean. Before we started there was a kickoff
with a brief history of the MTC which helped everyone realized the
importance of these sacred grounds. This day was also the first day we
could have class with Brother Gates in person. I just love how real
Brother Gates gets with everyone and is so straight forward.
On
Tuesday we had our Devotional with a member of the 70. We had the
opportunity to hear from Juan Pablo Villar. His message really touched
me talking about how if I get to know the Savior MORE and MORE then my
love for him will grow MORE and MORE, and I will want to serve MORE and
MORE. It just tells me how important it is for us to read the Book of
Mormon and have a personal connection with both God our Heavenly Father
and Jesus Christ. He also talked about how Faith is what causes
Miracles. Never the other way around. This can help me know why Lamen
and Lemuel never trusted in God even after seeing an Angel. The Miracles
they witnessed cannot bring them Faith.
The
last thing Elder Villar talked about was having spiritual eyes.
Spiritual eyes are the way for us to see the potential that the children
of God have. It is the way for us to see others the way Jesus does and
so we can know how we can help and serve. We all need to strive to use
spiritual eyes.
On
Wednesday we went to the Provo Temple again. We had our class on the
temple grounds and then went inside to do baptisms. I was able to
baptize 4 sisters and 1 brother all not in my district. Just knowing the
that this is helping others fills me with so much joy. I then confirmed
a few from my district and then was asked if I could record for some
confirmations. I was a in a little shock because I always thought that
it had to be a temple worker but that is not the case. As long as you
are endowed then you can record. This simple little experience
completely made my day.
Thursday
we went to the temple again. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am going
by every day for a paragraph. This time at the temple we did Initiatory
for the dead. This was my first time doing this ordinance for the dead.
It was really cool. I was then reading randomly through the bible just
flipping through pages. I didn’t find anything that stuck out to me so I
put it back on the table. I saw that th ribbon bookmark was in. I got
the prompting to look and see what was on those pages. It opened up to
Luke 22. I starting reading on the top left and got down to verses 31
and 32. You could also throw in 33 if you want. Before reading these
verses though I felt I should insert my own name. After doing so It felt
so much more spiritual for me and personal. Please go and read these
verses for yourself and liken them unto yourself. It will help you see
how important you are in the eyes of God.
Nothing
really important happened yesterday so now we are on TODAY SATURDAY
GENERAL CONFERENCE. I am so excited for this except I might have to sit
in a really uncomfortable chair in the MTC gym to watch it. Now you have
made it to the end. Congratulations to those who read this whole thing and for those who just skipped. I don’t really care if you skipped.
Pictures
1
- I saw my friend Elder Schriner. I went to his farewell before coming
here. Sister Segura who is in my district was in his ward.
2 - The Provo Temple. It may be confusing going through it but it is a really fascinating temple.
3
- MTC T4 building at night. I just love the design and scale of the T3
and T4 learning buildings They are newer being built in I think 2018.
4 - The whole district at the sand volleyball court. That is one of our favorite things to do as a district.
5 - The whole district outside the temple.
6 - Try to find me in this picture of the district.
I
just remember I never named everyone in my district. Me & Elder
Child, Elder Shaw & Elder Bull, Elder Ison & Elder Anderson,
Elder Boyce & Elder Patterson, Sister Coleman & Sister Segura,
Sister Hammock & Sister Tyler, Sister Rawling & Sister
O'driscol. I really love my District.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.